A vegan take on a creamy, delicious soup that will warm you up on the coldest & rainiest days.
Before deciding to embark on a journey of cleaner plant-based eating, broccoli cheddar soup was always my favorite at any cafe or restaurant. Unfortunately, many times the soups are made with chicken stock (I’m lookin’ at you Panera), and are loaded with cheese and milk/cream. (Not only does this increase the fat content, which isn’t so kind to our arteries and cholesterol levels, but it also puts in a bit more lactose than my tummy cares for.)
So to save our arteries, our tummys, and to have a diet that is low in environmental impact– I found (& slightly modified) this recipe, which is a simple and delicious take on this classic. It’s sure to be a staple from fall to spring. Pair with a favorite baguette if you’re feeling extra indulgent!
Un-Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup
(Soy Free, Gluten Free, Vegan)
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 12 cups
2 1/2 lbs golden potatoes, diced
2 carrots, washed, peeled, & sliced (if you don’t have carrots on hand, double the broccoli)
2 TB Canola Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried thyme
2 x 32oz box of vegetable stock or broth
12 oz bag of broccoli florets or one head of broccoli with florets cut into small pieces
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp turmeric
Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Place 2 cups of the diced potatoes and carrots in a medium stock pot with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil until vegetables are fork tender.
- While potatoes and carrots are boiling, heat 2 TB of oil in a large stock pot, add in the onions and saute until translucent. Ass the garlic, oregano, and thyme. Saute for 1-2 min more, until fragrant.
- Add 1 container of vegetable stock (4 cups), and the remaining diced potatoes, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes are simmering, remove smaller pot of potatoes & carrots from potand place in bowl of blender. Rinse pot. Add in more water and bring to a boil. Add in the broccoli, cook until just tender.
- Add nutritional yeast, 1/3 cup of canola oil, 1 cup of vegetable stockto blender bowl with the potatoes and carrots. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- When potatoes are ready, coarsely smash them using a potato masher or fork.
- Pour the blended mixture into the smashed potatoes and add 2 cups of vegetable stock, broccoli florets, and remaining spices. Stir & then simmer 2-3 more minutes.
- Add in more vegetable stock if needed. Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls, serve & enjoy!